Continuum of Need: A Framework to Support Decision Making
Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP) is pleased to publish its updated Continuum of Need: A Framework to Support Decision Making. The document aims to help those who work or volunteer with children and families across the Wakefield District make decisions about how to best provide support.
The update brings the Continuum of Need in line with our Wakefield Families Together approach where a child and their family receive the right help, at the right time from the right service, and importantly, from the right person, whilst always acting in the best interests of a child.
This updated version:
- Describes how we work with children and families across the district
- Includes a new Continuum of Need model illustration with updated terminology on the areas of different support
- Has new descriptions of each area of support defined within the Continuum of Need
- Includes guidance on stages of child development, parental capacity, family and environment factors, and contextual worries
- Includes guidance on how to access early support for a child and family, along with what to do if a child requires immediate safeguarding support
- Covers principles of information sharing
- Links to further supporting guidance
The updated Continuum of Need comes in two versions in an A5 leaflet style and A4 single page portrait. Both versions can be accessed from www.wakefieldscp.org.uk/professionals/procedures from the WSCP website and comes into effect immediately. All previous copies of the Continuum of Need should be disregarded.
Please ensure you:
- Share the updated version with your staff teams and networks
- Amend any single service guidance, training, website pages and resources which referred to and linked to previous versions as appropriate with the link to the updated version
- Embed this updated version within your business as usual service practices
For any queries, please contact the WSCP Business Unit – firstname.lastname@example.org